نمایش پست تنها
قدیمی 04-13-2008
امیر عباس انصاری آواتار ها
امیر عباس انصاری امیر عباس انصاری آنلاین نیست.
مسئول ارشد سایت ناظر و مدیر بخش موبایل

تاریخ عضویت: Sep 2007
محل سکونت: تهرانپارس
نوشته ها: 8,211
سپاسها: : 8,720

6,357 سپاس در 1,362 نوشته ایشان در یکماه اخیر
Arrow نام خلیج فارس را نجات دهیم

THE GOOGLE BOMB STORY

In November 2004, National Geographic published a new edition of their World Atlas. In it, they had used the bogus name of Arabian Gulf in addition to the correct name Persian Gulf, to mark the body of water in southern Iran. Furthermore, they had used Arabic names on a few Iranian islands.

Being a sensitive issue among Irainans, this quickly became a hot topic of discussion. Iranian officials condemned this but that did little in convincing National Geographic to correct its mistake. This is where we, the bloggers, came in.

I had heard about and seen google bombs before. In short, a google bomb is a way to influence search results for targetted keywords. I decided to implement one for this issue since everything seemed to be in favor of making it a success; it was an issue that thousands of Iranian bloggers felt strongly about, the term 'Arabian Gulf' was suitable for making a google bomb, and it was a civilized and creative way to voice our objections.

So I made a mock page (+), resembling a 404 error message which said 'the gulf you are looking for does not exist'. I asked other bloggers to link to that page. The response was simply overwhelming. Within a week, hundreds of blogs and websites had taken part and the google bomb exploded, creating a frenzy of media hype. It appeared on an AFP article and Yahoo! News, It also made the first page of BBC news page.

With the help of this media buzz, along with lobbying of Iranian Americans (NIAC) in the US and their meetings with the National Geogrpahic, they finally retreated and removed the 'Arabian Gulf' phrase from their maps and fixed the other errors as well. This was a huge victory, and was perhaps the first time Irainan bloggers united to really make a difference.

Today, a year on, the google bomb is still working, and it is still used as an example of the power of blogs whenever there is a discussion on Iranian blogs.

I have gathered all the news coverage regarding the google bomb below. If the original link is no longer active, you can read the transcript. If you know of any other articles regarding this, please let me know.

• حذف عبارت 'خليج عربی' از اطلس اينترنتی نشنال جئوگرافيک
    بی بی سی | transcript
  • وبلاگ نويسان و 'بمباران گوگلی' به نفع خليج فارس
    بی بی سی | transcript
  • بمباران گوگل ؛ گزارش روند پیشرفت در روزهای اول
    مخابرات ایران | transcript
  • مطلب روزنامه ی ایران
    ایران | transcript
  • مطلب آفتاب یزد
    آفتاب یزد | transcript
  • اعتراض کاربران ايراني اينترنت به اضافه شدن نام خليج عربي به نام خليج فارس در اطلس جديد نشنال جيوگرافيک: نامه اعتراضي و بمب گوگلي
    رادیو فردا | transcript
  • ابتكار جالب وبلاگ نويسان در مقابله با اقدام نشنال جئوگرافيك
    ایران | transcript
  • تحليل‌ رويدادهاي‌ اجتماعي‌ در هفته‌يي‌ كه‌ گذشت‌ ؛ خليج‌ فارس‌ , خيال‌ پردازي‌ گردشگري‌ و زنان‌ خياباني‌
    اعتماد | transcript
  • خليج مورد نظر يافت نشد
    شرق | transcript

Media Coverage in Other Languages

جای تبلیغات شما اینجا خالیست با ما تماس بگیرید